Christmas and your pet

There are many things to be careful of at Christmas time with your furry friends. It may seem tempting to give your dog left over bones, meats and sweets. Chocolate may be also given as gifts.

Here are a few things that could be a concern:

  • Pancreatitis can be caused by feeding fatty foods.
  • Cooked and uncooked bones can cause blockages and perforations.
  • Gastritis/diarrhoea can be caused by sudden changes in diets.
  • Chocolate under the Christmas tree could become a midnight snack for some dogs, which can be extremely dangerous to dogs. 

Cats love to play with ribbons and bows but these can be ingestion and cause intestinal blockages. Lillies are also toxic to cats but maybe given as gifts.

Please take precautions this Christmas time as your pet does not want to be spending time at the vet clinic.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all our patients and clients!

Share